The MS in Data Science Program will start accepting applications for Fall 2024 in August. The priority deadline for applications is January 15, 2024. All applications made before January 15 will be considered. Applications after January 15 will be considered on a rolling basis.
There will be online information sessions on the program in the fall. When they are scheduled, that information will be posted here. Everyone interested in the program is welcome!
(1) Session 1: Later October/Early November
(2) Session 2: Mid/Late November
Download the video recording of our first MSDS Info Session (Nov 18, 2021)
How to apply:
- Application for admission into this program is done online via MSU's Graduate School application system, with an optional phone/skype/zoom interview at the discretion of the admissions committee.
- We will be considering applications for a Fall Semester 2024 start. We generally do not offer Spring admissions.
- Priority application deadline is January 15, 2024. All applications submitted by this date will receive full consideration.
- Applications submitted between January 16 and March 15, 2024 will be considered on a rolling and space-available basis.
- To apply, go to http://grad.msu.edu/apply/online.aspx and be sure to use graduate program application code 7167 for the "Data Science - Master of Science" program when preparing your application.
- Required application materials include
- a 2-page letter of motivation (combined personal statement and academic statement, please do not submit two separate letters). This letter should address your interest in data science and your career goals. This letter of motivation can be submitted in any essay section of the online application;
- a detailed CV/resume including all relevant industrial experience if applicable;
- full official transcripts from undergraduate and/or graduate institutions, sent by the granting institutions (unofficial copies can be uploaded by the applicant);
- a minimum of three letters of recommendation sent directly by the recommenders (not attached to the application);
- If your first language is not English and you did not go to a University in an English-speaking country, you must also present a certificate of English proficiency such as a passing score on the TOEFL, IELTS, or equivalent (please visit https://grad.msu.edu/english-language-competency for details).
- the GRE is not required, but can be submitted for consideration.
- Once you complete the MSU application, a survey of technical background will be sent to you. This will also be required for admissions consideration.