The MS in Data Science Program is now accepting applications for Fall 2023. The priority deadline for applications is January 15, 2023. All applications made before January 15 will be considered. Applications after January 15 will be considered on a rolling basis.
There are 2 upcoming information sessions on the program. Everyone interested in the program is welcome. Please register for them with the links below:
(1) Session 1: Wednesday, November 16, at 7:00 pm Eastern time
(2) Session 2: Tuesday, November 22, at 9:00 am Eastern time
Download the video recording of our first MSDS Info Session (Nov 18, 2021)
Who we look for:
You have a four-year technical degree and you need to learn more about data analysis methodologies to further your professional career.
- You enjoy the mathematical sciences and you can program, especially when you can see how the practical side can make a difference in real-life problems.
- You want to become proficient at explaining data science methods to your non-technical colleagues, and help formulate data-driven team-based decisions.
- You see yourself as potentially capable of inventing new, principled data-science methods which are adapted to the needs of your professional environment.
How to apply:
- Application for admission into this program is done online via MSU's Graduate School application system, with an optional phone/skype/zoom interview at the discretion of the admissions committee.
- We are considering applications for a Fall Semester 2023 start.
- Priority application deadline is January 15, 2023. All applications submitted by this date will receive full consideration.
- Applications submitted between January 16 and March 15, 2023 will be considered on a rolling basis.
- To apply, go to http://grad.msu.edu/apply/online.aspx and be sure to use graduate program application code 7167 for the "Data Science - Master of Science" program when preparing your application.
- Required application materials include
- a 2-page letter of motivation (combined personal statement and academic statement, please do not submit two separate letters);
- a detailed CV/resume including all relevant industrial experience if applicable;
- full official transcripts from undergraduate and/or graduate institutions, sent by the granting institutions (unofficial copies can be uploaded by the applicant);
- a minimum of three letters of recommendation sent directly by the recommenders (not attached to the application);
- if the mother tongue of the candidate is not English, or the candidate is not a citizen of an English-speaking country, the candidate must present a certificate of English proficiency such as a passing score on the TOEFL or equivalent (please visit https://grad.msu.edu/english-language-competency for details);
- completion of the GRE is optional.